Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Republican Race-Bating: Forty-six Year Old Senator Obama Called "Boy" by Forty-Nine Year Old Congressman Davis

That would be Kentucky Congressman Geoff Davis, not Danny Davis of Chicago, Illinois. The latter, after all, is black. The former is white.

What made the comment particularly classic was that it took place at a self-described Kentucky "Lincoln Day Dinner." Davis compared Obama to a "snake oil salesman," and claimed Obama participated in a "highly classified" national security simulation with Davis. (That claim, as of this writing, has not been verified, by the way.) But here's what Geoff Davis said:

"I'm going to tell you something: That boy's finger does not need to be on the button... He could not make a decision in that simulation that related to a nuclear threat to this country."

The comment was enthusiastically applauded.

Later, Davis did apologize to Senator Obama in a written statement. "[M]y poor choice of words is regrettable and was in no way meant to impugn you or your integrity. I offer my sincere apology to you and ask for your forgiveness."

Uh, it wasn't meant to impugn Senator Obama or his integrity? Come, come now. A real apology would have said,

"Senator Obama, please forgive me for race-bating. I opened my mouth and nearly 400 years of white history came popping out. I hate it when the subconscious mind betrays one like that! I hereby pledge to enter therapy in order to deal with what is obviously a big problem for me, and to shut up for the remainder of this election season about your candidacy. Or, if you'd rather, I can continue to speak out, which will probably help you among thinking Americans.

Sincerely, Congressman Geoff Davis"

I wish.


tag: , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: